Principal Ecologist - Leading Independent Consultancy
South East • £35K - £45K + Superb Range of Company Bens • Ref: JSM 11996
Posted 7th October 2020
Would you like to work for an organisation that prides itself on being unique to all other consultancies? How does unlimited leave, complete flexibility and the opportunity to work on a diverse range of exciting projects sound?
To continue with their successful journey, my client is looking to recruit a Principal Ecologist to join their expanding team.
Set up just 5 years ago, my client has enjoyed consistent growth ever since. Striving to employ the best and brightest, they reward hard work and dedication. My client provides ecology consultancy services to a wide range of clients. Priding themselves in technical excellence and providing an innovative, pragmatic, client-friendly service. Building on their success, they have an excellent opportunity for a Principal Ecologist to join their team.
As a young business they are seeking people who are passionate about ecology, strive for excellence and are excited by being part of a young business. This role would be perfect for someone wanting to take the next step on the career ladder and challenge themselves in a supportive environment.
My client works across the UK with the majority of our projects across the Home Counties, South and Midlands.
As a Principal Ecologist you will be playing a pivotal role in the business and be part of the leadership team, helping shape the business as it grows. You will be joining an established team working on a huge variety of exciting projects. Your role will be varied and consist of both office and field-based responsibilities. The role will offer you the chance to be involved in every facet of the life cycle of the project. You will be able to mentor junior staff as well as support the Director on strategic decisions, writing bids and proposals as well as work generation initiatives.
You will be expected to produce work of the highest standard to ensure desirable outcomes for clients and stakeholders.
Ideally You Will Have The Following
· Genuine and demonstrable enthusiasm for ecology and the environment
· Experience of line managing or providing guidance to junior members of an ecology team
· Survey licence for one or more protected species e.g. bats/ newts or a demonstrable specialist in other taxa (botany, inverts)
· Experience of habitat surveys (Phase 1 or NVC/UK Habitats) and/or protected species surveys
· Experience of designing and implementing mitigation
· Experience of providing technical review of ecological reports
· Motivated to work both independently and as part of a team
· Good communication skills with colleagues, clients and third parties
· Full or chartered member of CIEEM (or eligible if not currently held)
· Full driving licence and use of a car
· The project-based nature of our work means the candidate must be willing to undertake travel and work away from home with overnight stays
· Experience of sales/business development, or willingness to learn
· Experience of EcIA, BREEAM or biodiversity net gain
· Advanced skills in one or more specialist ecological area e.g. bats
· Demonstrable enthusiasm/ skills in one or more specialist ecological area e.g. bats, newts, botany
· Experience of using QGIS or ArcGIS (training provided if not)
· Have held European Protected Species Mitigation (EPSM) licences for protected species e.g. great crested newt or bats
· Hold specialist mitigation class licences such as Bat Low Impact Class licence or Badger class licence
My Client Offers
· Apple computer and iPhone
· Competitive salary
· Professional memberships paid for
· In-house training and unlimited external training budget
· Colleague awarded bonus scheme
· Generous pension
· Unlimited annual leave and flexible approach to work time, balancing a healthy work life balance
New perks added frequently, reflecting being part of an exciting and innovative young business.
Candidates will ideally live within commuting distance to the Oxford area or be willing to relocate. However, there is significant flexibility for a mix of working from home and the office.
Being part of a young company offers excellent opportunities to be a part of a growing SME with clear strategic direction and opportunities to grow with the business.
Even if you are cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position or similar roles currently and would like a discreet non-committal chat, please contact Jeremy Money (email@example.com). However, if you have not received a response within with-in one working week, please assume your application has been unsuccessful this time round. We will confidentially retain your details and inform you of any other suitable opportunities arising should you not be successful in this role.
This is one of a number of exciting positions currently available via JSM Associates. JSM offers an extensive range of jobs in the areas of Planning, CSR & Sustainability, Environmental Management, Remediation & Contaminated Land, EIA and Ecology, Geotechnics, Environmental Planning, Air Quality, Noise and Vibration Landscape.
Phone - 01934 312 155
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Website - www.jsm-associates.co.uk
Twitter - @JSMAssociates
Apply for this role
Not keen on this role?
If the above role isn't for you, but you'd like to pursue other options, simply use the below links to register your CV with us for consideration, subscribe for job alerts or return to continue browsing other vacancies.