Senior/Principal Consultant - Biodiversity
Bristol, Central London, North West, South West, Flexible Home Working • Up to £55K + Exceptional Bens • Ref: JSM 1132
Posted 31st October 2023
Highly mission lead Ecology and Sustainability Consultancy has a fantastic opportunity for a Biodiversity Ecologist to join their team at Senior or Principal Consultant grade. Their highly talented team only work with organisations committed to achieving positive biodiversity is actively enhanced above and beyond minimum policy and legislative requirements.
London, Manchester or Bristol – Significant flexible home working arrangements also available
Responsibilities & Tasks
Core Role & Context - Purpose
Deliver ecology related project work which results in positive outcomes for biodiversity whilst supporting client needs and meeting fee targets. This includes:
· Managing moderate to high complexity projects from start to finish;
· Collaborating with/supporting colleagues to support the delivery of larger projects;
· Contribute to business development;
· Contribute to line management;
· Act as discipline specialist within the team;
· Tender production, client liaison and management of budgets.
My client’s primary purpose is to ensure that biodiversity is not just protected from harm through development and other land management actions, but is actively enhanced, above and beyond minimum policy and legislative requirements.
· Manages moderate to high complex projects without support;
· Support Directors and Associates by writing reports and proposals;
· Line manages consultant or senior team members (max 4);
· Contribute as a member of larger project teams;
· Contribute to business development;
· Liaise with clients, other consultants and external stakeholders to obtain information and updating team on key aspects/issues;
· Runs meetings and attends DTMs without support.
Key Performance Indicators
· Achievement of objectives agreed at PDR;
· Feedback from Associates and Directors;
· Positive client feedback;
· Produces highly complex reports.
· Stays within budget on projects;
· Actively runs BD activities without supervision;
· Minimum of 60% time utilised for fee-earning work;
· Tracking against core and technical discipline specific technical and transferrable competencies as per CIEEM definitions;
Skills & Knowledge
· Graduate (MSc desirable) in a relevant scientific degree (ecology, biology, environmental science or similar);
· Highly organised and motivational individual;
· Working knowledge of IT – Word Processing, spreadsheets, presentation packages, project-management software, internet;
· Excellent report writing skills;
· Enthusiastic about nature conservation;
· Excellent time management and organisational skills;
· Excellent client management and consultancy skills – ability to engage with clients;
· High level of numeracy;
· Minimum standard of;
· Project management;
· Health and safety;
· Professional conduct.
Planning Ecology – Purpose
To work on Ecology projects in relation to planning.
To undertake and lead on highly complex field surveys to include UKHab/Preliminary Ecological Appraisal and bat surveys as core purpose.
Produce reports including PEAs, BIAs, BREEAM Ecology Credit Assessments, EcIAs, HRAs and protected species reports.
Undertake Biodiversity Net Gain calculations using the Defra 4.0 metric
Skills & Knowledge
Minimum standard of;
· Bat surveys – be able to lead on moderately complex bat survey projects;
· PEA – be able to undertake PEAs accurately for moderate complexity sites;
· Botany – be able to identify common floral species and categorise complex sites by UKHab criteria;
· BIA – be able to draw areas from GIS and translate field survey results into the Defra metric 4.0 for highly complex sites;
· BREEAM – be able to produce a BREEAM Ecology Credit Report for complex sites;
· At least two other protected species/disciplines (e.g. HRA or EcIA);
Must hold protected species licence/experience of production of protected species licence documentation.
Associate CIEEM working towards Full Member.
Principal Natural Capital – Purpose
To work on a variety of natural capital projects; many of which will involve bespoke approaches to measurement and valuation of natural capital, ecosystem service flow and biodiversity value.
Alongside managing projects, have responsibility for tender production, client liaison, financial management and project programming.
To provide outward facing support, inputting into business generation.
Skills & Knowledge
Good understanding of the concepts of natural capital and ecosystem services – must be able to explain the primary drivers for nature-related action outside of the planning framework.
Must possess excellent client communication skills.
Will be able to find new opportunity for encouraging investment in biodiversity where none are obvious if just viewed in the context of legislation and planning policy.
Will be able to eloquently communicate the value of nature for business.
· Ecosystem service valuation frameworks (to include EBN and bespoke value transfer approach as a minimum);
· QGIA – be able to produce good quality habitat/survey maps without support;
· BIA – be able to draw areas from GIA and translate field survey results into the Defra metric 4.0 for simple sites.
· BREEAM – be able to produce a BREEAM Ecology Credit Report for moderate complexity sites;
· Green infrastructure design.
Will have and understanding of ESG, TNFD and other disclosure mechanisms, and how these relate to biodiversity action.
Will be able to write bespoke natural capital assessment reports from scratch with no support from senior staff.
Is able to run a project involving biodiversity baselining, uplift plan and corporate strategy production with no senior support.
Experience/knowledge of green infrastructure design and working with urban biodiversity.
Good knowledge of green landscape scale ecosystem service linkages.
Qualifying CIEEM membership working towards Associate CIEEM (or other relevant professional membership body such as IEMA).
Actively contributes to service extension and improvement in our understanding of applied natural capital assessment.
Rewards & Benefits
My client offers a highly competitive salary along with a range of exciting benefits. This is an exceptional opportunity to join an ambitious business with significant growth plans ahead. My client offers a lot of training as well as great scope for progression and reward. You will have significant input into the growth and development of the business.
Even if you are cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position or similar roles and would like a discreet non-committal chat, please contact Jeremy Money (firstname.lastname@example.org). However, if you have not received a response within with-in one working week, please assume your application has been unsuccessful this time round. We will confidentially retain your details and inform you of any other suitable opportunities arising should you not be successful in this role.
This is one of a number of exciting positions currently available via JSM Associates. JSM offers an extensive range of jobs in the areas of Environmental and Sustainability, including ESG, EIA and Ecology, Contaminated Land, Environmental Planning, Air Quality and Noise.
Phone - 01934 312155
Email - email@example.com
Website - www.jsm-associates.co.uk
Twitter - @JSMAssociates
Apply for this role
Not keen on this role?
If the above role isn't for you, but you'd like to pursue other options, simply use the below links to register your CV with us for consideration, subscribe for job alerts or return to continue browsing other vacancies.