M4 Corridor, South Coast, South East, Flexible Home Working • £35K – £42K + Significant Bens • Ref: JSM 1129
Posted 19th October 2023
💫 Company | Landscape & Ecology Consultancy
📏 Size | 70 staff across multiple offices
🧢 Role | Senior Ecologist; Habitat Surveys & Protected Species Work
🪜 Level | 4 years +
🎯 Areas | Hertfordshire/Brighton/Basingstoke
✨ Skills | Ecology/Habitat Surveys/Report Writing/Client Liaison/Mentoring Junior Staff
📍 Based | Office – 3 Days a Week
💻 Hybrid | Yes
💰 Offer | Up To £42K + Significant Bens
My client is a highly sought after independent Ecology and Landscape planning consultancy with a growing number of offices around the UK. They are looking for Senior Ecologists to join their busy and expanding teams of circa 30 ecologists. As an enthusiastic and passionate member of the team, you will play a key role in maintaining high standards and delivering high-quality work to their ever-growing range of clients. As a multi-disciplinary consultancy, you will have the opportunity to work with landscape, urban design and heritage colleagues to develop a broader understanding of planning and development, as well as ecology and biodiversity.
Hertfordshire, Brighton, Basingstoke
Responsibilities & Tasks
The variety of projects and clients will offer diverse tasks and opportunities. Alongside supporting junior colleagues, you will work with lead ecologists and play a significant, client facing role in project delivery. As well as leading protected species surveys you will prepare and/or oversee PEAs, EcIAs, HRAs, BNG Assessments, mitigation strategies and more. You will use QGIS and other graphics packages to prepare high-quality technical drawings such as Habitats Plans and Biodiversity Enhancement Plans.
Ideally You Will Have The Following
My client is looking for friendly, highly motivated and conscientious individuals, who demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for ecology.
· Relevant ecology/biology degree (2:1 or above desirable)
· Protected species survey experience, including personal species survey licences
· Habitat survey experience (ideally UKHab) and sound botanical skills
· Strong working knowledge of relevant wildlife legislation
· Excellent written English and verbal communication skills
· Skilled with MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
· Hard-working and willing to take on new challenges
· Highly organised, able to multi-task and work effectively within our team of experienced ecologists
· Forward thinking, with a keen interest in staying up to date with the latest survey techniques, guidance and innovations
· Willingness to undertake an average of two night-time surveys per week during the peak survey season, including occasional overnight stays (accommodation and subsistence paid)
· Full, clean UK driving licence, with own car insured for business use
· Membership of CIEEM (ACIEEM or above)
· Strong technical specialism (e.g. ornithological or botanical skills)
· FISC level 3 or above
· Working towards additional protected species survey licenses
· Expertise with QGIS/other GIS packages
About this Opportunity
A healthy work-life balance is very important to my client and they seek to provide a supportive, friendly and attractive place to work. In addition, they offer an exciting benefits package, including:
· Salary £35,000 – £42,000 per annum
· Hybrid working, with the option to work from home up to 2 days a week
· Flexible working around core hours
· Annual profit related and performance-based bonus scheme
· Overtime pay arrangement for out-of-hours survey work
· 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 days with length of service
· Company pension contribution, which increases with length of service
· Annual staff trip and funded team social events
· Annual ‘Ecology Team Day’ with internal and external speakers
· Mobile phone allowance
· Commitment to continued professional development, including a generous training allowance for external training courses targeted at your areas of interest and development
· Opportunities to explore ecological specialism
· Paid subscription to CIEEM/protected species licence fees
· Real commitment to employee wellbeing, including access to our Employee Assistance Programme and mental health first-aiders
· My client is a carbon neutral company, committed to offsetting their carbon footprint. They are also committed to encouraging equality and diversity and welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds. They aim to create an environment in which individual differences and their contributions are recognised and valued.
Even if you are cautiously looking, I would recommend a discreet conversation to find out more about the firm and the role.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position or similar roles and would like a discreet non-committal chat, please contact Jeremy Money (firstname.lastname@example.org). However, if you have not received a response within with-in one working week, please assume your application has been unsuccessful this time round. We will confidentially retain your details and inform you of any other suitable opportunities arising should you not be successful in this role.
This is one of a number of exciting positions currently available via JSM Associates. JSM offers an extensive range of jobs in the areas of Environmental and Sustainability, including ESG, EIA and Ecology, Contaminated Land, Environmental Planning, Air Quality and Noise.
Phone - 01934 312155
Email - email@example.com
Website - www.jsm-associates.co.uk
Twitter - @JSMAssociates
Apply for this role
Not keen on this role?
If the above role isn't for you, but you'd like to pursue other options, simply use the below links to register your CV with us for consideration, subscribe for job alerts or return to continue browsing other vacancies.