Principal/Associate Sustainability Engineer – Buildings
North West • £50K - £60K + Exceptional Bens • Ref: JSM 12069
Posted 6th May 2021
Exceptional opportunity for a Lead Sustainability Engineer looking for technically challenging work on iconic projects to join an established Building Services Engineering team within one of the most highly regarded consultancies globally. My client is at the forefront of sustainability and climate change consulting and boasts some of the most talented people in the industry.
My client’s aspiration as engineers is to design market-leading, sustainable systems that push the boundaries of engineering to create a lasting legacy. Working in an interdisciplinary environment and produce Building Services Design Systems that maximise value for their clients whilst minimising the environmental impact.
As a principal/associate level Sustainability Engineer with drive and experience, you will be a key part of the Building Services Engineering team leadership; managing multidisciplinary projects while providing technical support and mentoring to the other engineers.
Your role will be to lead in a dynamic, challenging and stimulating environment with a myriad of opportunities to apply your growing knowledge and expertise to a range of exciting projects. You will lead feasibility, design and site stage activities for building projects (new and refurbishment).
Manchester/Liverpool/Sheffield - Scope for significant flexible working available
· Take an active role in pushing forward the skills and abilities of team members, including supervising and training junior engineers.
· Lead building projects of various sizes, taking an active role in project leadership and client-facing activity.
· Take an active role in building services design elements for both small and major projects working closely with other team members.
· Attend meetings and communicate with clients to establish their needs.
· Offer consultancy advice and prepare design reports in a timely fashion and within budget.
· Support graduate engineers with technical expertise and mentor less experienced team members.
· Share and expand knowledge through participation at relevant skills networks.
You will report to the Sustainability Team Leader and ultimately to the wider Buildings Practice Leader. This will require you to work closely and establish strong working relationships with other business groups with the buildings teams across the region. You will also be expected to establish strong links with clients and external contacts.
My client would like your role to be developed over time into business development, bid submission and client care. Regular visits will be expected to the Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield offices, where you may be sharing resource or workload, carrying out design reviews, staff appraisals or supporting the Building Services teams in these locations.
It is essential that you have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as you will be a key technical ambassador for my client, working closely with their clients as well as the wider engineering and construction community. You will be a self-motivated, proactive, realistic and collaborative individual that strives to deliver solutions of the highest quality and exhibits an excellent attention to detail: your actions should inspire confidence in clients, partners and peers alike.
Due to the nature of sustainability and its broad scope it is essential that you are able to quickly understand issues outside of your core background knowledge, keeping a pragmatic view of the details of project delivery whilst being aware of wider project, sector and industry considerations.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
A demonstrable track record of successful delivery of sustainability projects within Building Services Engineering environment including:
· Low carbon building design
· Alternative sustainability rating systems
· Climate change adaptation strategies
· The social sustainability aspects of building projects
· Energy reduction through behaviour change
· Strong track record of leading project teams
· A clear understanding of, or experience within, a consultancy environment
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
· An excellent general understanding of current local and national issues within sustainability and climate change agendas
· Adaptable, resilient and able to work in multidisciplinary settings
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to lead meetings and workshops
· Professional, organised, and highly methodical
· Knowledge of relevant design tools, techniques and related methods e.g. IT systems, BIM, thermal/energy analysis, calculation packages, etc.
· Knowledge of CAD and Revit MEP deliverables
· Demonstrate an active CPD record
· Chartered status through CIBSE, IMechE, SoPHE or other relevant body and degree qualified; or
· Working towards Chartership with a Masters Engineering Degree or equivalent
Desirable Skills & Knowledge
· Experience of working in a wide variety of sectors.
· Good knowledge of buildings physics and energy performance of buildings including contributing factors such as energy supply options and ventilation strategies.
· Ability to think outside the specialism and integrate multi-disciplinary requirements into holistic coordinated solutions.
Rewards & Benefits
My client offers a competitive salary and one of the best benefits packages in the sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by my client and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
If you are interested in finding out more about this position or similar roles currently and would like a discreet non-committal chat, please contact Jeremy Money (email@example.com). However, if you have not received a response within with-in one working week, please assume your application has been unsuccessful this time round. We will confidentially retain your details and inform you of any other suitable opportunities arising should you not be successful in this role.
This is one of a number of exciting positions currently available via JSM Associates. JSM offers an extensive range of jobs in the areas of Planning, CSR & Sustainability, Environmental Management, Remediation & Contaminated Land, EIA and Ecology, Geotechnics, Environmental Planning, Air Quality, Noise and Vibration Landscape.
Phone - 01934 312 155
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Website - www.jsm-associates.co.uk
Twitter - @JSMAssociates
Apply for this role
Not keen on this role?
If the above role isn't for you, but you'd like to pursue other options, simply use the below links to register your CV with us for consideration, subscribe for job alerts or return to continue browsing other vacancies.